Maintaining your oral health is always important, but it becomes crucial especially when you have braces. It is becoming much more complicated filling cavities and performing other procedures when you have braces; thus you should follow all health procedures to keep your teeth in excellent condition. Read more here about brushing with braces
An electric toothbrush is a great tool to help you maintain good oral health while having braces. In any way, using an electric toothbrush is much similar to when using a manual toothbrush. Therefore there are things to consider on how you can use an electric toothbrush with braces. Firstly, you should select the best electric toothbrush that suits you by following the tips below
1) Talk to Your Orthodontist or Dentist
Electric toothbrushes are of different types having different features thus it is hard to decide which one suits you. If you have no idea on which toothbrush to purchase, it is advisable to consult a dentist or Orthodontist. These professionals will recognize your specific situation and advice you on the best decision to make.
2) Decide on which Electric Toothbrush to Purchase
Electric toothbrushes come in two types. Rechargeable and battery powered toothbrushes. Both offer different disadvantages and advantages that you should consider before purchasing one.
3) Investigate Different Features of Electric toothbrushes
Electric toothbrushes have different features depending on the type. Some of the features are necessary while others seem of less importance to you. You should weigh your options and decide which one you could consider essential. This way, you will be able to pick the best toothbrush by narrowing down your choices. Some electric brushes have timers to determine how long you have been brushing.
4) Try Out an Electric Toothbrush before Purchasing an Expensive Model
While other people enjoy electric toothbrush, there are still others who prefer a manual toothbrush. Before purchasing the expensive toothbrush model, consider buying a cheaper one first such as the battery-powered model to determine whether you will like electric brushes. If you make a decision that you want something more sophisticated, then you are free to invest in an expensive model which contains many features.
Brushing With Braces
By use of an electric toothbrush, this routine has been made easier.
- Firstly, remove bands, elastics, or removable orthodontic appliances parts.
- Clean your Braces- clean around pins and wires carefully
- Brush each Wire- Brush moving top to down and around lower and upper teeth.
- Brush your teeth- It is recommended by dentists to brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day. This ensures that each quadrant of your mouth is brushed for 30 seconds. The best thing about Oral-B electric toothbrushes is that they come with a built-in timer which pulses after every 30 seconds to notify you when to switch your mouth areas.
- Rinse and check your teeth- Rinse your mouth thoroughly and examine your braces and teeth in the mirror to look for any remaining food particles.