In honor of gun safety month, we’re going to put out a short list on tips and tricks for picking the top rated gun safes.
Gun safes are critical in keeping people who shouldn’t have weapons from having weapons. According to the CDC, 1.7 million households have firearms that are unprotected and in plain sight. That puts a lot of children, and others, at risk. We believe that everyone should #lockitup and store their firearm in a safe, inconspicuous location where children simply do not have access to it. An integral part of meeting that goal is purchasing the right gun safe.
That’s where we come in.
So, without further ado, here we go.
Decide What You Need
There are a lot of different types of gun safes on the market. A person can purchase, in no particular order, the following:
- Biometric gun safe
- Fireproof gun safe
- Electronic gun safe
- Mechanical gun safe
- … many others
That is also just thinking about the locking mechanism. Other considerations include:
- Size of the safe – how many guns?
- Quality of the safe – what gauge steel and what diameter of bolts?
- Do you want it to be secured to the floor?
- Where will it go in the home? Under the bed, in the closet, in the wall?
All of those different options bring us to our second point.
Read All The Reviews You Can Find
According to this page on the best fireproof safe reviews, a simple Google search for gun safes can bring up over 2 million results! That is a lot to digest, we’ll help break it down for you.
One of the most important things to do is to look at the gun safe manufacturer; find out who actually makes the safe.
A few really popular brands are:
There are many more, but those should get you headed in the right direction. That isn’t to say those are even the best safes, just the ones we pulled off the top of our heads.
I’ve Read Reviews, Now What?
After diligently combing through dozens of reviews, you’re ready to make your purchase. Now that you’ve made all of the above decisions, it’s time to double-check you’re purchasing the right safe for you.
Here are a few tips to avoid any surprises:
- Make sure you check the dimensions both inside and outside of the safe – it needs to fit where you want it to go.
- Make sure to purchase all of the additional hardware you need to install it. Is it an in-wall safe? Is it going to be bolted down? Make sure to check all of the boxes.
- Is it an electronic or biometric locking mechanism? If so, does it come with batteries or do they need to be purchased separately?
All of these questions are very important to the level of happiness you will experience with the safe itself. Most importantly, however, make sure all of your guns will fit inside so your loved ones are protected with a firearm in the house.